Published: Wednesday December 31, 2008
As Israel continued to pound the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip with bombs yesterday, a Jamaican of Palestinian descent called on the world to force the Israeli government to end hostilities in the region.
By the end of yesterday, that call by Robert Dabdoub, a businessman, seemed to be heeded as, according to the BBC, foreign ministers from the Middle East Quartet, the United States, the European Union, the United Nations and Russia called for "an immediate ceasefire that would be fully respected".
Indeed, at the end of the day, it was reported that Israel was contemplating a French proposal for a 48-hour ceasefire which would require Hamas to stop its rocket fire and allow humanitarian relief into the Gaza Strip.
Dabdoub described the air strikes, which started on Saturday, as a shame and said he believed the world should follow its conscience and force Israel to stop its aggression.
"It is a disgrace, it is totally inhumane, and it is breaking the Geneva Convention with its use of excessive force," Dabdoub told The Gleaner. He said he believed the long history of conflict between the Israelis and Palestinians has been unfair to the Palestinians and that the latest move by the Israelis was an attempt to gain more land.
While Dabdoub believes an immediate ceasefire is needed, he says more needs to be done to rein in Israel.
"Terror is terror whoever is committing it, whether it is a state such as Israel or an individual," he said.
Israeli attacks on Hamas-controlled Gaza have so far resulted in at least 360 deaths and more than 1,400 people wounded.
Source Jamaica Gleaner