The following was taken from the Appendix of an older copy of 'The Prophet's prayer described' with a few slight modifications. I wanted to share it as it has general principles that we as Muslims should try to attain to. All the evidences presented are from the Quran and authentic hadith.
- A return to the sublime Qur’aan and the authentic Sunnah of the Prophet(sallallaahu’ alaihi wasallam) and to comprehend them both according to the understanding and way of the Pious Predecessors (as-salafus-saalih) –may Allaah be pleased with them all- acting upon the saying of our Lord – The Majestic.
And the first to embrace Islâm of the Muhâjirûn (those who migrated from Makkah to Al-Madinah) and the Ansâr (the citizens of Al-Madinah who helped and gave aid to the Muhâjirûn) and also those who followed them exactly (in Faith). Allâh is well-pleased with them as they are well-pleased with Him. He has prepared for them Gardens under which rivers flow (Paradise), to dwell therein forever. That is the supreme success. (At-Tawbah 9:100)
and His – (The One free of Imperfections) saying:
“So if they believe as you believe, they are indeed on the right path..” (al-Baqara 2:137)
and the sayings of the Messenger (sallallaahu’ alaihi wasallam)
It was narrated on the authority of Abu Najih al-Irbad bin Sariyah, radiyallahu 'anhu, who said:
The Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, delivered an admonition that made our hearts fearful and our eyes tearful. We said, "O Messenger of Allah, it is as if this were a farewell sermon, so advise us." He said, "I enjoin you to have Taqwa of Allah and that you listen and obey, even if a slave is made a ruler over you. He among you who lives long enough will see many differences. So for you is to observe my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly-principled and rightly-guided Rashidite Caliphs, holding on to them with your molar teeth. Beware of newly-invented matters, for every invented matter is an innovation and every innovation(bid'ah) is a going astray.”
[Abu Dawud & Al-Tirmidhi, who says it is an authentic hadith
Abdullah reported: It was asked from Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) who amongst the people were the best. He said: (People) of my generation, then those next to them, then those next to them…, [Sahih Muslim]
- To purify everything related to the life of the Muslims from Shirk in its various forms – and to warn them against the wicked innovations (Bid’ah) in the creed (Aqeedah) and acts of worship (Ibaadah) and false ideas introduced from outside, and to cleanse the Sunnah of the weak and fabricated narrations which have tarnished the pure nature of Islaam, and have been a cause of prevention of the progress of the Muslims, in realization of the responsibility due to knowledge and due to the saying of the noble Messenger: (sallallaahu’ alaihi wasallam)
and in obedience to the order of Allaah – The Mighty and Majestic:
“..Help you one another in righteousness and piety, but help you not one another in sin and enmity.” (al-Maa’idah 5:2)
- To educate and cultivate the Muslims upon their true Deen, and calling them to act according to its rulings, and to cultivate in themselves its morality and manners – which will ensure Allaah’s pleasure and result in their welfare and honour – being in agreement with the Qur’aanic description of the group who are saved from ruin
“…And (join together) in the mutual teaching of Truth, and of patience and constancy.” (al-Asr 103:3)
and due to His order:
“On the contrary (He would say): “Be you people of wisdom and knowledge for you have taught the Book and you have studied it earnestly.” (Aal-Imraan :79)
- To revive true Islamic thought in the light of the Book and the Sunnah and upon the way of the Salaf (Pious Predecessors) of this Ummah, and to remove the stagnated blind following of Madh-habs (schools of thought) and blind adherence to parties – which has overcome the minds of many Muslims and distracted them from clear and pure Islamic brotherhood/sisterhood – as demanded by the order of Allaah – The Majestic and Most High:
“And hold fast all together, by the rope of Allah, and be ye not divided among yourselves…” (Aal-Imraan 3:103)
and the saying of the Prophet (sallallaahu’ alaihi wasallam)
“Be worshippers of Allaah(and) brothers !” (al-Bukhari and Muslim)
- To provide practical Islamic solutions for the present day problems and to strive for returning to a true Islamic way of life upon the way of the Prophet (sallallaahu’ alaihi wasallam) – and to bring about a society guided by the Revelation, and for Allaah’s laws to be applied upon the earth – beginning this process with correction (tasfiyah) and education and cultivation (tarbiyah) – as Allaah, the Most High says:
“And instruct them in Scripture and Wisdom, and purify them” (al-Baqarah 2:129)
whilst remembering the saying of our Lord – the One free of all imperfections – to His Prophet (sallallaahu’ alaihi wasallam)
“…And whether we show thee (in this life) some part of what We promise them, or We take thy soul (to Our mercy before that), - (in any case) it is to us that they shall (all) return.”(Ghaafir 40:77)
and realizing the Sharee’ah principle: “He who seeks to hasten to bring something about before its appointed time – is punished by being deprived of its achievement.”
- To cordially invite all those who have not yet been blessed with that true Knowledge and Guidance of Islam which is the perfect final revealed Message of Allaah to His Creation, so that they may realize the peace and contentment of this life and the eternal bliss of the Hereafter.
This is our call- and we call all of the Muslims to assist us in shouldering this responsibility which will awaken and uplift them, and to spread the perpetual message of Islaam to all corners of the earth – in sincere brotherhood/sisterhood and love, having full confidence in Allaah’s aid and that He will indeed establish and grant authority to His righteous servants:
“…But honour belongs to Allaah and His Messenger, and to the Believers...” (al-Munaafiqoon 63:8)
MashaAllah, very straightforward and to the point, and most importantly with daleel(evidence) from Qur'an and Sunnah. InshaAllah we as Muslims can accomplish these objectives, and I remind myself first before anyone else.